votes: 44
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlefatfriend wrote:

Here's my guess at what you said(with the help of an online dictionary);

Enlightening (interesting, informative),

the first part is correct, but the second-
littlefatfriend wrote:

Where are you from (I think!)

isn't. he actually says that he can't understand what you write, because he's too drunk at the moment Wink

littlefatfriend

Vehicle: nissan 200SX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy LOL - cheers - I'm sorry I know I should learn - I'll certainly learn more if I ever get over there - one of the Latvians I taught knew 23 different languages, and his wife wasn't far behind him.
Confused

I'm glad to see the word I copied from the dictionary worked. The second bit I was trying to be clever. "What" makes more sense, that's what the dic said.

So lets have another go;

ko - what

viņš - he

grib - want

Ah! - it's beginning to make sense.
Thanks, I find language very interesting and smiling helps you live longer and healthier.

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hohum – One step forwards…

When I last talked to that local garage about changing my starter he sounded well up for helping. He wanted to fit a £100 reconditioned one that he could get (which was how much a new one would have cost me) and he’s in the trade, so I’d expect he should get things cheaper than me. He said he would fit it for £40. I talked him into fitting the one I got for the same price. The garage knew when I would get the new part. The replacement starter motor arrived at noon today and the garage now tells me he can’t fit it until Friday.

As Tony Benn has said – I’m not cynical, I’m sceptical. It’s not that I distrust him, but I need to have a reason to trust him and although he smiles at me a lot he hasn’t actually helped yet. There’s only him and his wife at the garage and he seems popular so I shouldn’t be surprised that he’s busy. I guess I’m just mostly miffed because I’m still stuck in the house with no transport. Up until last week I could at least make the car work.

So I’ve got the part, but I’m not gonna get anywhere ‘til Friday.

I’ll still keep you posted

Smiling slowly

Rolling Eyes

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That job's now gonna be thursday - I'm gonna give him a chance as he seemed to think he'd do other checking (including a compression and air regulator test) at the same time for nowt. I've got to trust someone.

Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated. Wink

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He’s now put it off til Friday but does still seem up for it
Good job I’m an optimist – I’ll tell you then…

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you noticed the wind making curious howling sounds around 8 this evening, you were probably in fact overhearing my screams.

I got up unusually early for this and the garage fannied about until 3:30. I met the father of the mechanic (who was apparently also a mechanic and is 77 years old) and they both took three hours to replace the starter motor (they still only charged me £40). I want to like them and they do seem canny, but it was clear at the start that they had no idea how to do it. They parked the car in a way that prevented me from seeing what they were doing, so I don’t know what they did, but it involved loosening and lowering the (auto) gearbox and a universal joint on a three foot extension.

They took something out and his dad seemed sure something was seized and then asked me if there had been a big metal crunching noise when the starter motor died. There wasn’t. They put it back together and when they turned it over it sounded much the same as it had before the starter motor blew.

I could tell the mechanic really wanted to do me an easy favour and for it all to work out. They did the compression test. They both pranced and prevaricated for about an hour. The compression test showed almost no compression. In one of those conversations where he changed the subject at every chance he got, the mechanic slowly explained, in random bursts, that the valve seats must be responsible because my car is from an age before unleaded petrol. Even after he checked and noticed that 1992 (S13) SX200s are designed to be run on (95) unleaded, he insisted it was that problem.

He then told me that 1992 (S13) SX200s have an engine that was only produced for one year, but didn’t go into that further.

So he reckons he would charge me £500 to remove, regrind and refit the valve seats (mostly because he thinks it might take him 2 days to grind the valves into the right angle). That’s what he thinks is wrong (although he says he’s only 95% certain).

I don’t know where to go – I’m hunting reconditioners but shooting in the dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Very Happy

airis

Vehicle: 200sx 1.8T; LC80 4,2D
votes: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find another mechanic and test everything one more time.
before u make any decisions.
Woofy

Vehicle: VW Jetta MKII 90`
votes: 12
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup i think it would bemore clever to do as airis said! More tests before you decide!
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - have you got any ideas what tests would tell me why there's no compression? Can you really do that without removing the cylinder head?
Confused

Vetal

Vehicle: LV ātrākais Nissan; Firebird 5.7T
votes: 93
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do compression test at another place - it's impossible that all 4 cylinder died simultaneously. Sorry, but your mechanics are idiots.
P.S. I had to go to a garage today to weld the exhaust - I can swear I haven't seen such an idiot for a few months. Enough of garages for me for another year Evil or Very Mad

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya - apparently a bloke from SXOwnersClub who lives near me is gonna come round tomorrow evening and sort out a compression test for me - what a star! Very Happy

I'll keep you posted
Thanks

Dzhanis

Vehicle: lienes ielas udens sukni
votes: 69
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy another s13 !!!! Mr. Green how much money you already had spend on it? Rolling Eyes
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£700 to buy the car, starter motor + fitting £100, new battery - £40, engine temparature sensor - £10, front brake pads and discs - £60, £50 on ECU checks + other garages (I'm not going to pay them if they can't fix it). Insurance £190, I get free road tax cos I'm a wheelchair user.

1 British Pound = 0.94719 Latvian Lats
1 Latvian Lats (LVL) = 1.05575 British Pound (GBP)

The bloke tonite has offered to do the compression test for free, but I'll offer him at least £10 - dependant on how long it takes.

My car's in such good condition that, if I can make it start, with two weeks and £400 I could fix it into showroom condition. 8 months ago, I recorded a 4.6 second 0-60 on a rolling road at York dragraces.

I wouldn't just give up, it's far to healthy and I'm not like that. A new 200sx might break as well, this just needs fixing. My last two cars were ford capris and I'm not scared of spanners.

I work from home and most of my extended family and friends live fairly close or have transport, so I can cope without a car (at least for short periods).

I think helping them to work is part of the whole fun of cars. If I get bored with this car, I'll probably turn it into a trike. I don't think I'd buy another car. Cool

Vetal

Vehicle: LV ātrākais Nissan; Firebird 5.7T
votes: 93
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

700GBP for 4.6 seconds car??? I wish we had such cheap cars here
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered if it's been modified, but I certainly can't find anything. The bodywork and interior are practically flawless Very Happy

The auto box is one of the reasons they can be bought so cheaply here - they tend to be owned by "boy racers" and they are usually scared of autos. Quite useful, really.

It's £1,000,000 for a bugatti that will do 2.9 secs.

Sometimes it's funny, in an odd way, the world Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    200sx.lv Forum Index -> Chat and suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: