atcerēties mani Paroles atjaunošanaReģistrēties
200sx.lv 200sx.lv
Hi from England - Help starting a cold 200sx
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlefatfriend

Vehicle: nissan 200SX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Hi from England - Help starting a cold 200sx Reply with quote

I hope someone can help - I have a 1991 S13 nissan 200sx - it runs like a dream and starts without a problem once it gets started from cold. I use a wheelchair all of the time so it has an automatic gearbox and hand controls (the only one with hand controls that I know of in the UK). It started objecting to cold starts about three months ago (I’ve had it just over a year). When I start it from cold it fires weakly and then floods itself. You probably know Nissans are notorious for this type of thing.

If I remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over, it starts to fire as it runs out of petrol. When I dip the fuse back in for less than a second, it floods itself again. If I repeat this process, the engine appears to warm up enough that it turns off the choke and will eventually start. This now takes about 5-8 solid minutes turning it over with the starter motor. I don't know how I haven’t burnt the starter motor out, but it does work in the end and it’s the only way I can start it. This has got progressively worse (as the weather has got colder) and I now can’t leave it for more than 2-3 hours.

The car certainly seems to be over choking itself. WD40 doesn't help. I’ve changed the (platinum tipped) spark plugs and all the filters and it made no difference. The 880page nissan service manual (£3 on ebay!), 8 auto electricians, 3 garages and 3 nissan dealers have only been able to tell me that the car very definitely thinks there’s nothing wrong with it – every test just proves how healthy the car is. We've changed the engine coolant temp sensor, ECUd it, done the voltage measurement on each of the sensors on the ECU connector, all the tests the ECU can do and spark testing, and it definitely doesn't think there's anything wrong with it. I’ve also cleaned the A.A.C. valve.

In this weather, this makes my car more trouble than its worth. I've stopped doing practically everything, and its just sitting there. I certainly don't want to do anything other than fix it, but I can't.

Anybody got any ideas?
Sorry - I don't speak Latvian. I can do French if it helps!
Very Happy

Vmax

Vehicle: turbo tk n t
Reputation: 40.7Reputation: 40.7Reputation: 40.7Reputation: 40.7
votes: 18
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from England - Help starting a cold 200sx Reply with quote

littlefatfriend wrote:
automatic gearbox and hand controls Very Happy

thats your case, none manual SX had problems like that Wink
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: How? Reply with quote

Sorry mate, but how could an auto box stop the engine from starting? That just makes no sense. And virtually all Nissan models (including manual 200sxs)are notorious for cold start problems.
The box is completely disengaged from the engine when it's turning over, and it works fine once it's started. If the gearbox was in any way activated, it wouldn't even turn over.
Are you joking? Confused

Vmax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: How? Reply with quote

littlefatfriend wrote:

Are you joking? Confused

Then sorry mate, sxoc.co.uk for you, loads of stuff and experience there!
no offence Wink
People here drive no AT, except user VD.
p.s.
FPR maybe
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: really Reply with quote

Whats the FPR?

you know, again, definitely this has nothing at all to do with the gearbox - Its simply not possible that the gearbox is related to this cold start problem - pretend this is a manual 200sx

cheers Very Happy

Vmax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pressure regulator.
so why there are different ECUs for MT and AT
Vetal

Vehicle: LV ātrākais Nissan; Firebird 5.7T
votes: 93
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200SX is very good at cold start - my Nissans started even in -30C without questions Wink
Since you're in UK, there shouldn't be any problem because there are so many very knowledgeable guys who had played with 200SX for years.
Personally I think you should check FPR, AAC, try to change ECU.
Try to heat temp sensor with something (not open fire obviously) and see if it helps

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

Ta for the tips - I'll answer them soon. The 200sx does have a very clever cold start system, that's part of what convinces me it's just a little fault somewhere.

-30C is just silly. But do you see why I thought Latvians might know? Very Happy

Vmax - as I remember the ECU has extensions for the auto gearbox oil. Its an extra bit (and there's nothing wrong with that) but its otherwise identical. I don't have the info to hand but the ECU may be involved with the overdrive gearbox function as well - but all that seems to be fine, too. As far as I know, that's it...

Repsis

Vehicle: Nissan 350Z; Yamaha FZS600
votes: 44
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlefatfriend wrote:

-30C is just silly.

why silly? it really happens now and then here Smile a couple of winters ago it dropped to -36 and even -38 in northernmost regions, so nothing unusual Smile
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: ta Reply with quote

LOL -y'kna what? - I moved from the north east of england and lived in Liverpool for 12 years, and i was always amazed at how much warmer it was on the other side of the country.

I've been to Norway in summer and all of europe as far west as slovakia (or whatever it calls itself at the minute!) but I can't even imagine -38!

I prefer being warm. It doesn't happen over here much, but it is not that cold!

I guess its good for skiing.

Still working

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: and on... Reply with quote

Wahey - I've discovered a garage that seems helpful 300 yards round the corner from me (on a street I don't use!). I got a jump start off his missus recently. I've got compression testing and an air regulator to investigate. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks again, still trying, here's the gen - The starter motor finally gave up on thursday. There's one on ebay but he won't post and it's a 700 mile round trip!

I was offered a host of starter motors for about £60 from the range of breaker yard type websites in the UK - I went for one from 247spares.co.uk that was £58 delivered with a 90 day g'tee. I should get it on monday and I'm getting it fitted and a compression test for £40. If the compressions okay I'll get him to check the air regulator, too.

The following day alternatorsupplier.com would have done me a new starter motor for £98 with a years g'tee. I'm not worried as I may still not be able to fix it so I mite as well save £40 and I reckon if it'll last 90 days it should just keep going.

Fingers crossed

S14

Vehicle: s13'92g
votes: 40
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apgaismojiet,ko viņš grib Mr. Green
littlefatfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - cheers dude - A few years ago in Liverpool I used to teach a few Latvian people how to do accountancy with computers, but I'm afraid I can't speak/write Latvian language.

I can do French if it's any help.

Here's my guess at what you said(with the help of an online dictionary);

Enlightening (interesting, informative), Where are you from (I think!)

I live in the north east of England, in Newcastle upon tyne. Its an interesting place. Good people.

waldmenz

Vehicle: s13 '91
votes: 28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wrote:

Enlighten me, what he is saying and what he wants?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    200sx.lv Forum Index -> Chat and suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: